Introduction of the services
This topic provides a general overview of the kinds of services I can supply. I hope through it to give to the reader some precisions about some matters and some features of every service, that I could not include in the prices catalogue.
If you are an organization or a public administration, and if you wish make people you work with understand better, or if you teach to people, the accessibility issues, you can refer to me. I can do a demonstration in various places, such as companies, universities, schools, public administration, etc. I would be happy with being involved in some educational programs with some partners such as professional teaching companies.
The purposes of my demonstration are:
* Showing people how a sight impaired person sees the computer everyday (read/write mails, reading the layout of various documents (pdf, word processing, etc.), reading a webpage, reading a desktop environment, etc...) ;
* Showing how the difference of approach can be overpassed via free software which provide accessibility solutions ;
* Proposing not-impaired people to live, some minutes, sight impairment situations in front of their computer, in order to make them understand the reality of accessing to a computer.
These various purposes are possible through workshops with small groups, every workshop can be of one or two hours. Every session includes:
* At least one blind person or sight impaired person present to do demonstrations ;
* A laptop computer available ;
* A demonstration and an explanation of the issues ;
* A comparison of accessibility solutions, free and commercial.
If you wish this demonstration be done on the desktops that you work with, e.g. numerical spaces..., I can work on your machines if they have necessary tools. If your computers are not accessible, and if you do not know to install what needed yourself, you can ask one of the following services.
Equipping some computers
This service includes :
- An analysis of the solutions we can imagine, depending on the features of the computer ;
- Studying of what the customer desires: it can include data backup, keeping the previous environment (Jaws, Windows via a partitioning);
- Installing, if the situation enables this and if needed, of the accessibility solution that the customer choosed: NVDA on Windows or full GNU/Linux system. This service includes the setting of the system according to what the user wishes.
On a newer and compatible machine, of which the customer wishes install a GNU/Linux system, the installation can take about one hour. For older machines, which have lower and more specific features, or to install a Windows system, the first analysis should enable to know the installation required time. This analysis will enable me to do an estimate.
Making and setting an accessible computer
This service includes :
- An analysis of the solutions we can imagine, depending on the purposes ;
- Free estimate of the price of the hardware: it may be a desktop or a laptop computer, as well as devices the user desires, such as a printer, a scanner, etc. It ensures the user that his hardware suite interacts properly and transparently. Thanks to the previous study, the choice will take account of the customer's environment.
- Making the computer (or buy for the customer the laptop computer if he prefers such machine);
- Installation of the accessible system: this service includes the setting of a system according to what the customer wishes.
On a newer machine, of which the customer wishes install a GNU/Linux system, the installation can take about one hour. For older machines, which have lower and more specific features, or to install a Windows system, the first analysis should enable to know the installation required time. This analysis will enable me to do an estimate.
Training on the accessibility solutions on a computer
This service includes :
- Free analysis of the purposes and suitable ways ;
- Some training hours on accessibility software. I can also teach some basis of system general administration of a GNU/Linux system. However, if you want to train on a unusual system, I only will be able to show you the accessibility solutions, not general administration.
Support for setting some GNU/Linux distributions
Some users, because the free software philosophy enables this, wish try some distributions I do not want to install on the solutions I propose. They use in particular Ubuntu and Vinux, Vinux is a distribution sight impaired-oriented.
Although these distributions are interesting, I do not like them enough to advise and install them for my project. I explain why in Material and software. However, if a user uses them, as they are based on what I use, he can be helped for the configuration of the accessibility tools, including some help for quick start, especially based on some particular issues related to accessibility.
For very different distributions, such as RedHat, SuSE etc., I can support minimally the installation and the configuration of accessibility-related tools. But I will not be able to help, because I do not know them enough, for general administration (upgrades, software installation...). My help is for people who have already known these systems and who are able to use them, but who do not know accessibility issues.
Finally, about Windows, only NVDA and free software which are installed on it are fully supported, because I do not know perfectly this operating system, in particular Windows 7, but I can help about accessibility with NVDA some Windows administrators.
After making, setting a system or a training, the organizations and the users may desire some help when they have a problem. That is why a support service exists.Two kinds of service are provided according to the purpose.
The first kind of support is for professionals, with some schedules. This service works from 8am to 7pm, from Monday to Saturday.
The second kind is for ordinary users. It is a warranty to get an answer in some delay. This is 24 hours. In general, this delay is lower than the warranty: between one and ten hours.
These two approaches cost two different prices.
This service consists on giving you a document which analyzes a libre-related philosophy issue. It enables a customer to be helped, in particular in Law and public politics issues, to promote a project which would like to follow the free software philosophy, to show and promote his project.
This service implies a dialogue between the customer and I to explicit the contents of the document and the writing conditions.
The warranty that you will have few troubleshootings is founded on several things.First, on a GNU/Linux system, the user has less chance to do mistakes, thanks to a full share between administrator and user space, without compromising the efficiency of the sereen reader.
Then, the quality warranty includes that the hardware will be fully fixed if there is a problem and the user will be given a refund. The customer has the warranty that his hardware will work, will be usable and sane, and will be at least in the same state as at the origin. To do this, I am careful with the data to avoid any loss.
Finally, the warranty is funded on the quality of the analysis before the installation (i.e. according to the hardware) and the credibility of the software which are used and the honesty of the given use advise.
A permanent dialogue
In any cases, the dialogue has to be established. It is right especially for professionals, because it is necessary to speak together to elaborate their situation and their needs, to set the most suitable price together. No price is predefined for professionals, as the high variety of possible contexts.